Saturday, April 8, 2017

Access to Local Composting a Perk of Roots & Wings CSA

Roots & Wings CSA members get more than fresh vegetables and fruit from a local farmer. They also have access to community composting behind South Presbyterian Church in Dobbs Ferry.  

When CSA members gather to meet the farmer’s truck on Sunday mornings in the parking lot behind South Church, many bring a container of their vegetable scraps to the compost bins located there. The benefits are two-fold: They keep vegetable scraps out of the waste stream and help create nutrient rich compost for gardens in the river towns.  


To keep the compost pest-free, Roots & Wings requires new composters to take a free introductory session with Elisa Zazzera, a master composter from Hastings, who also maintains the health of the bins.  The sessions are offered about once a month.  


When I come to the bins I asses the compost with my eyes, nose and hands,” said Zazzera. “I take the temperature in a few places in the bin. I give it a good mix with the crank getting to the bottom and all around the edges. If the bin is on the wet side I mix in some dry browns.” 


The compost bins are spacious and accommodate not only CSA members’ compost but the vegetable scraps and coffee grounds from South Presbyterian Church’s campus—such as kale stems from the recent Mardi Gras gala. Bev Roche, a chef at Days of Wonder, located on the campus, will be begin composting the daycare’s vegetable waste with Roots & Wings this spring.  


“Because all the meals I do are plant-based, I generate a large amount of vegetable waste. It feels so bad to put them in the garbage. Plus, I love the idea of introducing the toddlers to composting,” said Roche.
 


1 comment: